HomeCategoriesStore LocatorForumContact usLink Exchange

Bonsai \ Your Favorite Bonsai \ Display Stands
Author Messages Date Posted
Peter Thorne Hi Guys, can anyone point me to an explanation of the “rules” relating to the use of display tables?

Apart from raising the height of the tree to a more appropriate viewing angle, it seems to me that the hobby in general needs to pay a bit more attention to the size shape and colour of the tables used for displaying our bonsai.

Many of the major exhibitions offer prizes for the best tree and pot combination, and yet there is seldom any mention of the tables or plinths being used. We often talk about a bonsai display as a composition, in which all the elements combine to form an aesthetically pleasing, balanced and harmonious display. A quick look at the photographs of the displays at any of the major exhibitions will quickly demonstrate that some trees are displayed on tables which are to big, or to small; or are visually to heavy, or to light, for the trees placed upon them.

When describing the depth and shape of a pot, some people refer to the “visual weight” of the pot in relation the height of the tree and the thickness of the trunk. It seems to me that the “visual weight” of the table is an equally important part of the composition, and I presume that there must be some general guidance available on this topic. I am sure we have all looked at a bonsai display and instinctively felt that the composition was wrong for some reason, even if we couldn’t explain why. There are many treads on the forum in which people have suggested that the table / stand is inappropriate for the tree because it is to heavy or to light, or sometimes because the table top appears to be floating”, but I haven’t been able to find any guidance as to what is appropriate. Can anyone point me to a suitable website, that will explain what elements of the tables’ design we should be thinking about, when choosing the table to be used for displaying our trees?
3/28/2012
5:47:00 AM
marcus watts i think it is good that there are no hard and fast rules otherwise it all gets too standardised.

in the picture examples above a stone is displayed with a tree - there are other teachers and judges that say this is absolutely wrong and that a stone is a display item in its own right and should never accompany a bonsai. Personally the most distracting part of the display in the picture is the dark wood in the background - it clashes with both stands so their detail is lost.

the artist setting the display has a few considerations to initially make- what stands do they actually own or are able to borrow will be at the top of the list for all but the richest. Then the style of the tree and the scene that the display is trying to show comes into play - wide open space, rugged mountain, river valley etc. Physical mechanics come into it too - a tree weighing 10's of kilos mustn't crush a delicate stand .....

the one rule that does work is the appearance of stability - but the tree must be in the right pot before either can be put on the right stand i think. As a starting point I try to have a practice at home, take a picture or two, even post it on here and very soon you will get peoples opinion Laughing
3/28/2012
5:54:00 AM
Yvonne Graubaek Hi Peter

A quik answer is not possible here, it is about small things, who matters.
My best idea is, if you show us two or tree displays with the stands you have, and the one tree you have in mind....this way more opinions will come up.

Kind regards yvonne....remember to ad a sideplant, stone or figurine
3/28/2012
6:16:00 AM
Login: Username: Password:   
Home | Contact Us | Site Map |